as an artist, we make a lot of customization and shortcuts to make our life a little bit easier and faster. I made a lot of shortcuts over the years and to avoid confusion I sign the same keyboard shortcut to the same tools of 3ds Max and Maya and other 3d packages and they all share the same hotkeys for the same tools.
I have a razer naga epic mouse and it has 12 buttons on the side so I get them to use. I add another 12 additional buttons by holding shift key so I have 24 buttons means 24 tools right under my thumb 🙂 this many buttons may sound daunting to you but when you get a good hand of it you never wanna go back to the regular mouse.
RAZER MOUSE SET UP
in top view, I just change button number 4 to delete for deleting and button number 5 to shift+ctrl+alt+t for repeat last tool in both max and Maya.(tools might name differently from max to Maya but its the same function you have to find the same tools in both software)
- .number 3 to (CTRL+Z) for undo and (SHIFT+CTRTL+Z)for undo view operation.
- .number 6 to (CTRL+Y) for redo and (SHIFT+CTRL+Y) for redo view operation.
- .number 9 to (F3) for wireframe and (SHIFT+F3) for toggle display selected with edged faces.
- .number 12 to (F4) for toggle display edged faces and (SHIFT+F4) for shade face toggle.
- .number 2 to (CTRL+F) for front view and (SHIFT+CTRL+F) for back view.
- .number 5 to (CTRL+ALT+R) for right view and (SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+R) for left view.
- .number 8 to (CTRL+T) for top view and (SHIFT+CTREL+T) for bottom view.
- .number 11 (CTRL+K) for ignore backfacing toggle and (SHIFT+CTRL+K) for toggle backface culling.
- .number 1 (F5) for perspective and (SHIFT+F5) for expert fullscreen mode toggle.
- .number 4 (CTRL+7) for slide edge and (SHIFT+CTRL+7) for slide edge off.
- .numbe 7 (CTRL+PAGE UP) for grow selection and (SHIFT+CTRL+PAGE UP) for shrink selection.
- .number 10 (CTRL+BACKSPACE) for removing and we can not add anything to this function.
KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS FOR 3DS MAX
I mada a few shortcuts for the keyboard as well. first, I change (SPACE BAR)from lock faces to change viewport toggle then I put F2 to nurms so I can see smooth mesh quick and easy.
.(ALT+C) to center pivot .(
) to convert to editable polygon. .(F2) to nurms toggle. .(SHIFT+X) to connect poly. . (SHIFT+C) to cut. .(SHIFT+V) to edge bridge. .(CTRL+SHIFT+X) to swift loop. .(SHIFT+E) to extrude. .(CTRL+SHIF+E) to bevel.
KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS FOR MAYA
Maya lacks some functions or some tools do not exist in the hotkey editor but Maya has a very easy and fluent script so I create some custom script and add a shortcut to it.
(SHIFT+X) to connect tool. . (SHIFT+C) to multi-cut tool. .(SHIFT+V) to bridge tool. .(CTRL+SHIFT+X) to insert edge loop. .(ALT+X) to xray toggle. .(ALT+C) to center pivot. .(CTRL+SHIFT+V) to inset( custom sctript simply extrude with offset value )
CUSTOM SCRIPT FOR MAYA:
1-(CTRL+K) IGNORE BACKFACING CULL :
selectPref -useDepth (!selectPref -q -useDepth`);
2-(SHIFT F3) CUSTOM SCRIPT FOR DISPLAY SELECTED WITH EDGED FACE TOGGLE (turn off showing the edges):
string $wires =
displayPref -q -wsa; if ($wires == “none”) displayPref -wsa “full”; else displayPref -wsa “none”;
3-(F4) VIEW EDGE FACE TOGGLE or wireframe on shade which exists in Maya but can’t find it in the editor :
string $selectedPanel =
int $shadedWireState =
modelEditor -q -wos $selectedPanel;
modelEditor -ex $selectedPanel)
setWireframeOnShadedOption (!$shadedWireState) $selectedPanel;